I am a man, in the middle of life. What that means to me, you and us is what I hope to frame in my attempts at this.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Poverty

"We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty."
Mother Teresa


July 1971: Roman Catholic nun Mother Teresa (1910 - 1997), who has spent 40 years working with the sick, the destitute and the dying. She is working in a Catholic-sponsored children's home in Calcutta.   (Photo by Mark Edwards/Keystone Features/Getty Images)



The people around us, the ones we love and the ones we don't love by negligence need us. In this quote, I found an answer to how can we possibly take care of those around us, how can we possibly answer the needs around us for those that are suffering? Mother Teresa granted this amazing quote that touched me.

How do I take care of the people Jesus calls the hungry and thirsty and naked and tired? I can love them, and when you love the people around you, and truely reach out to them this is how we learn to serve. A recent sermon podcast I listened to from Rob Bell talked about this, and how when we struggle to feel God's presence, and we are solely looking for Him in our intellect or theology, we miss the place He tells us to find Him-in generosity.

God is a generous God-giving a Son who gave His life for the world. Giving is where we need to be in our daily lives, and it doesn't just involve the stuff we thing about. It involved love, care and the feeling of being treated like a human.


"There is more hunger for love and appreciation in the world than there is for bread."
Mother Teresa



No comments:

Post a Comment